Friday, January 7, 2011

The Business of Real Estate

Looking at all of the latest employment figures that have come out this week, it brings back memories of the time when I had a job in the normal work force. Going to work every day and taking home the paycheck every two weeks. I used to grimace just like everyone at the deductions and glare at the final amount that would go into my bank account.

Having worked in the Real Estate business for the past ten years, it reminds me of the differences in the way I provide for myself now as opposed to the W2 years.

Realtors and agents are an entity by themselves; we are self employed and responsible for every aspect of where and when the money comes into our bank accounts. Yes, we work for a Brokerage, but by law there must be an entity to carry out the transactions. The brokerage gets almost a third of every dollar we make. So you see the brokerage does not pay the Realtors or agents, they are not our employer.

Yes, it would be nice to have the steady paycheck coming in every couple of weeks, but in our industry of providing services of Real Estate rendered, we depend upon the commissions paid by the home sellers. I love this work and it works for me. I am the business of Real Estate!

No comments: