Sunday, May 26, 2013

Planning for your retirement home


Growing up for the teenage years in Boise Idaho, I lived in the home that my parents purchased in 1972.  It was a well-constructed two story 4 bedroom home that sat on a half-acre.  I have lots of memories that date from junior high though high school.
The house served its purpose and gave our family shelter and holiday memories of my parents welcoming all of the new family members.  The home was not exceptionally large; in fact it was only about 1900 square feet.  It did however give the feeling of not being crowded. 
As I moved out of the home on my own my parents lived in the home by themselves with frequent family visitors.  My father’s retirement lasted over 30 years.
As the years went on my mother and father became elderly and it was frequently discussed to move to a more senior friendly home.  This met with a brick was with my mother and as they approached their 80s and 90s it was a noted more difficult job to get up stairs and take care of the big yard. 
My parents both died in the last couple of years, but it brings back thoughts of what should be planned for getting elderly.  When you get older you slow down and really don’t want to or don’t feel like doing the same house cleaning and yard maintenance.
Make a plan for retirement to include downsizing and ease.  Get into a single level home, townhome or condo.  Making the plan will ease the thoughts of seniors not have the family memories get in the way of safety and comfort.  Have the talk with your parents and family, above all makes this your parent’s decision.

No comments: